Care & Maintenance Vinyl Planks
Congratulations on selecting a quality floor designed with easy care and
maintenance in mind. To help enjoy the longevity of your floor for many
years to come, follow these simple steps:
Cleaning & Care
1. Immediately - clean up any liquid or water based spills or
any other potentially staining marks using a dry clean cloth.
Though vinyl plank floors are water resistant,
don’t leave liquid/water based spills there just to test it.
Vinyl planks floors are resistant to most spots and stains,
however some materials or colorants (such as tar, grease, oil,
dyes, waxes, ball point, marker pens, pet mishaps or foods/
beverages containing strong dyes as mustard, curry, cordial,
coffee, tea etc.) may under certain conditions migrate into the
wear layer causing indelible stains.
2. Daily or as required – remove any loose dirt or grit which could
damage the floor by sweeping with a soft dry broom or vacuum
(preferably with an effective dust filter and suction nozzle for hard
surfaces turning off a powerhead, if installed).
3. Weekly – clean using a damp mop using water with a PH neutral
cleaner to remove any footprints, dirt and other stains or marks.
Never flood the floor with water as excessive moisture can
damage the installation.
4. As required – stubborn scuffs and stains can also easily be
removed using a damp cloth or sponge with a diluted solution
of methylated spirits. Ensure the methylated spirits is completely
rinsed from the flooring.
5. Never use a steam-mop or steam-cleaner.
6. Never use abrasive cleaners, nylon scouring pads, steel wool,
scouring powder or bleach as they may damage the floor.
7. Never use oil, soap, wax or polishes as these finishes may make
the floor slippery and can leave a dull finish on the floor.
8. Place entrance mats (which must not have a rubber backing)
at all external doors to trap dirt, sand, grit, moisture and other
substances from shoes:
a. Double entrance mats are required for residential installations
– 1 coarse external mat, and 1 medium internal mat.
b. Triple commercial mats with a minimum walk off zone of 3.5
metres are required for commercial installations – refer to
Mats must be cleaned regularly.
9. Vinyl flooring products can display discolouration caused
by contact with rubber products such as rug/mat backings,
furniture feet, rubber soled shoes/slippers, wheels for trolleys
and wheelchairs etc. which are likely to leave permanent marks.
Only non-staining vinyl backed mats or woven rugs identified as
colourfast should be used on vinyl plank floors. If the floor is to
be subjected to any of these applications, darker colours are
recommended which will hide any discolouration, should it occur.
10. Use non-staining felt protectors under heavy pieces of furniture.
Fit office chairs, filing trolleys, mobile containers and old hard
or sharp edged castors on furniture with soft treads or castors.
Chair pads should be used under desk chairs with castors.
11. Never drag, slide or roll furniture or appliances across your floor.
Protect the surface if using a trolley to move heavy objects.
12. Floor to ceiling windows coupled with our Australian/New
Zealand sun can create floor surface temperatures over 70°C.
Your floor should be protected from extreme temperatures and
strong direct sunlight by the use of interior temperature control
(recommended temperatures 10-30°C), window tinting, awnings
and/or curtains/blinds. Direct sunlight will cause fading.
13. Pet claws can scratch the flooring. Keep nails trimmed.
14. Spiked heels or shoes in need of repair can severely damage your
floor. In areas of excessive traffic and wear, make use of runners
or area rugs. Rugs should be cleaned regularly.
1. Vinyl plank floors are maintained by the above CLEANING &
2. Vinyl plank floors cannot be sanded.
3. Vinyl floors can be professionally machine buffed (high-speed
450rpm – red pad) to remove minor scratches and to balance
the gloss level.
Commercial Installations - Additional maintenance may be
required for commercial installations.